Sunday, June 14, 2009

A day at the beach

Yesterday Jeremy and the boys and I took a drive out to Pacific Beach, Moclips, and Quinault. Jeremy often delivers up there for work and loves to share all of his knew found knowledge of the area with us. It was not too windy and cold when we got to the beach, so we let the kids run around and jump in the sand dunes and walk to the water. Chalk up a little bit of exercise for me!

Colby loves to chase after Joel

They love to wrestle with each other


Next we drove to see some very old trees that Jeremy thought were very impressive because they were so big around and he wanted to share them with us. On the way there we passed a sign that read Quinault Big Cedar. We decided to park and take the hike up to see this big cedar tree. We had no idea how far up it was or how steep or what the tree was like. We've never taken the boys hiking, so we thought we would give it a shot. Colby had been sleeping in the car, but luckily I had my handy fleece pouche from Kangaroo Korner in the back, and I thought I would just carry him. As we went along, we could see steep steps and we ran into a group who were on their way back down. They said it was about a ten minute hike and would be very hard if I carried Colby all the way. I decided to carry him for a little while up some of the steps. Soon I started to get winded and he had woken up enough to walk, so we let him climb the big stairs with us. And just in case anyone is wondering, Jeremy did ask if I was OK about every couple feet and offered to carry him instead. I felt well looked after! We made it to the top and saw a very HUGE cedar tree that had been hollowed out and you could actually go inside of it. It was pretty cool. We took some pictures and then hiked back down. More exercise for me! Bonus points for carrying Colby up hill part way!!

We didn't think to bring the camera up with us,
so the pictures of us at the tree are on Jeremy's
phone. We took this picture of the sign after we got
back down to the bottom.


On the way to the beach we had seen a sign that said "Largest tree next left" I asked Jeremy if it was a sign for an actual tree and he said "yes" and that he had wanted to see it but never had the chance since he was always at work. When we got down from the big cedar tree we decided to drive over and take a look at the World's Largest Spruce Tree. The sign said that the trail was .3 miles long. We decided to walk it because I told Jeremy that it wasn't that far. It was starting to get dark, so again, I carried Colby all the way there so that we could get there faster. This was just a nice little trail and was flat with no climbing and no hills. This time we brought the camera. Yeah, more exercise for me, just over half mile round trip!

This spruce tree is almost 59' around!

Daddy and his boys sitting on the Spruce tree

I'm so glad that we decided to take a drive! We had a really nice family outing and that felt really good! I hadn't planned on all the added exercise, but I'm so glad we had the opportunity to spend the evening in God's BEAUTIFUL world. Jeremy said, "Isn't this cool. We can do all these things and we are only a little over an hour from home!"

P.S. For dinner I had a grilled chicken salad from McDonalds with a water. And on the way home we had bought some bite sized candy bars. I picked them because they were 100 calories each and so I decided that I would eat just one and then stop. Normally I would eat like 3. YIKES! 300 Calories, who knew? Anyhow. I ate it slowly, so I could savor the taste. I wanted more, but I didn't give in. Go me!



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that area! Quinault is actually our favorite camping spot. Sounds like you've been doing a great job at staying active and sticking to your diet! Go Kyla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I kind of blew it today though. Not totally I guess.

    ReplyDelete