Wednesday, June 10, 2009

In the beginning, did I starve?

Today ends the second full day of sole sourcing on the Cambridge Diet. Surprisingly I did really well! I didn't 100% sole source but it was close. I would have thought that I would have felt more hungry and craved food. It was actually the opposite. I found out that I really didn't crave anything in particular and when I would think about food I would grab a handful of nuts or one baby carrot and a glass of water....that was it, I felt satisfied! The times that I actually did add in extra food, I made a very conscious decision to do so and I was able to stop myself after the "allotted" amount was gone. It felt sooooo good!

By the end of the first day I discovered that I tend to eat things not because I am actually hungry but because they are there and sound good. In reality it probably isn't what my body is craving anyway and so I end up eating more and can't stop because it just tastes so good. And then I feel disgusting for eating so much and having so little self control! Not such a great feeling. I could have consumed tons of calories that first day, and most of them would have been entering my body in "automatic mode." But I didn't, I did great!

Near the end of the first day I realized that I needed to go to the grocery store and I was pretty excited about it. First off, I love going to the grocery store so I can have some alone time, and second, I could taste a sweet treat in my mouth already.....It hit me like a ton of bricks, my mind has become conditioned to think "treat" as soon as I think "go to the store." Suddenly I didn't feel quite so excited. The more I thought about this phenomenon I knew that it was true! I almost ALWAYS buy a treat when I go to the store. Usually I buy one to scarf down on the way home from the store so that nobody else knows and sometimes I end up buying something else to have at the house. Every time I do it I feel guilty, yet I rarely seem to be able to stop myself. Amazingly, being on this diet for just the short period of time I have been, I was able to realize why I was so excited and prepare myself for it and I really didn't feel tempted by that treat any longer.

Another thing I noticed that first day, was that shortly after I ate a couple bites of the dinner I made my family, I seemed to get a migraine. I was thinking that it had something to do with the Dairy in the dinner, but I have had a migraine again the second day also. I am wondering if it actually has something to do with the Potato soup and something that it has in it because I got the migraine after lunch today, which is when I ate my Potato soup and after dinner last night, which is when I ate my Potato soup. Something to watch for anyway. I don't think it is related to the lack of food in any way.

Waking up the morning of my second day I felt so energized, which is really strange for me. I usually feel so "in a fog" or something and it takes me forever to get my day going. But this morning I felt good and awake. I think not eating all that unhealthy stuff yesterday really helped me feel better today.

This morning I added a banana to my Chocolate shake and it was so yummy! For lunch I did the Potato soup as I mentioned earlier and then I did Chocolate again for dinner. The more I think about the Potato soup, it actually makes me feel nauseous, so I think I will try not using it tomorrow.

While I was creating my blog this morning Joel decided he wanted to get ice cream today. Normally the very thought would have me salivating. Today, I told him after we ate lunch we could walk there and him and Colby could get ice cream. I didn't even feel tempted by the thought of having the ice cream. Awesome! I did have one tongue lick of Colby's cone as I tried to keep it from melting all over him and my stroller, and I still had no desire for more!

I can't wait to actually see some of this weight come off. That is always encouraging! My mom thought I would be wise to not add in a bunch of exercise until after the third day when my body had adjusted to the fewer calories, but I have to tell you that I felt like doing an exercise DVD today. Didn't actually happen today due to time, but I did walk! Maybe that DVD will make its way to the DVD player tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment